Friday, September 10, 2010

A German Manuscript of Mandeville's Travels (article)

A German Manuscript of Mandeville’s “Travels” Dated 1433
by Malcolm Letts, for The Modern Language Review

Okay, so I’ve read other pieces of scholarship by Malcolm Letts and found them both edifying and enjoyable. So what happened here? Maybe I just don’t care enough about my German manuscripts. For shame.

This article is a brief discussion of the scribal and manuscript history of a particular German translation of Mandeville. As my German is abysmal and I am not working with this translation at all, the article is not a great boon to me, but if you like discussions of “spirited woodcuts” and all the wonder that is Michel Velser, hoo boy are you in for a treat!

(Sorry Malcolm.)

No comments:

Post a Comment